Cul Fun: Black Bean Dip with Tortilla Chips
This is a healthy and delicious meal, and it’s a super easy “One-Pan-Meal” too!
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Pan that can go on stovetop and in the oven (or a baking dish to go in the oven)
- Tortilla chips
- Cheese, cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Chives AKA Green Onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- Olive oil
- Your favorite Salsa
- 1-2 cans of black beans
- Salt, pepper, chili powder
- Kale (optional)
- Yellow or Sweet Onion (optional)
1. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil, 1 Teaspoon of salt, 1 Teaspoon of pepper, chopped yellow or sweet onion, and chopped garlic to your pan and put on med-high heat
2. After about 2 minutes, lower heat to low so onions carmelize. Leave for about 7 minutes.
3. If you are adding kale, move your onions to the side of the pan off the heat and cook kale with a dash of olive oil and salt on high heat. Move the leaves around frequently, they will turn dark green and be done after about 3 minutes.
4. Open bean cans, drain extra water into sink, and add beans to your pan. Add your favorite salsa. Mix in and taste, if you want more spicy tomato flavor add more salsa. Stir.
5. Add cheese and stir so it melts. If pan cannot go in oven, transfer bean dip to a baking dish. Add more cheese on top and broil in the oven for 2 minutes or less. DO NOT leave the broiler on unattended. Turn broiler off before you get the pan or dish out of the oven using pot holders.
6. Add chopped chives on top and enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips.