ADK Arts: Culinary Arts
Cooking camps for kids are fun (and tasty)! Campers love to cook, and our Culinary Arts program offers some of the most popular activities at Adirondack. Our basic skills class, Culinary Fun, teaches campers all the necessary techniques needed to follow recipes, prep food and cook favorites like garlic knots and fruit crumble. Who knows, maybe you’ll be in the running for ADK’s next Top Chef?
And new for 2013, we are offering opportunities for more advanced culinary artists to explore specialty classes that will tap into the creative side of cooking. Cake Decorating, Bread Making, Farm to Table, International Tastes and “What’s in the Pantry?” are among some of the new classes that are being added to the Culinary Arts line-up.
Here’s a camper favorite from the summer of 2012…
Basic Crumble Topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup oats
- ¾ cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 apples, i.e. Granny Smith
- 2 plums
- 1 orange
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 2 tsp sugar
- Peel the apples, remove the core and cut into slices. Peel & cut the oranges.
- Cut the plum into slices. Take care to remove the stone from the middle.
- Put the apple & plum into a saucepan. Add the water & sugar.
- Gently cook the fruit for 5 minutes.
- Put the fruit into a shallow 8”x8”baking dish
- Put the flour in a bowl. Add the butter, cut it into small pieces and rub it into the flour with your fingertips.
- Add the sugar to the flour mixture. Mix together and put on top of the apple mixture. Don’t press down.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
That’s just a taste of culinary summer camps for kids!Map